Many people get flu shots each year, however, instead of paying out-of-pocket, it is recommended that you get the costs covered under Medicare, if you are Medicare eligible.
Does Medicare pay for flu shots?
Medicare does cover seasonal flu shots. Medicare Part B covers one flu shot per flu season. You pay nothing under Original Medicare, as long as your provider accepts Medicare assignment.
Why get flu shots?
If you are 65 years and older, suffering from chronic illnesses, or at high-risk of being sick, it’s important that you obtain a flu shot. Older folks can be more vulnerable to contracting the flu shot than any other age-group population in the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) saw that over 600,000 individuals were hospitalized during the flu season and over 61,000 people died, just in 2018 alone. Statistically, around 90% of folks that were hospitalized during the flu season were ones 65 and older. With such harsh statistics stacked up against the older population or chronically ill, it is vital that you get a flu shot in order to save lives.
Getting a flu shot is simple as well. Just go to a Medicare-approved hospital or pharmacy. Although flu vaccines are not 100% guaranteed protection, it can reduce your chances of getting yourself and others sick.
Most people over the age of 65 are entitled to Medicare Parts A & B, also, those that have disabilities and folks with End-Stage Renal Disease may qualify for Medicare. With Medicare Part A, you’ll have hospital coverage, and Part B generally covers you at the doctor’s office and for outpatient services.
However, Medicare will only cover 80% of all medical costs, which leaves 20% uncovered, and that amount uncovered is unpredictable. It’s recommended that folks consider covering that “gap,” with a Medicare supplement plan.
If you have Original Medicare with Parts A and Medicare Part B, you will be covered with a free flu shot at a pre-approved Medicare location. Double-check online or contact the pharmacy or doctor’s office you would like to visit in order to verify.
Medicare Part D or Medicare Advantage
If you are in need of vaccines or other shots it’s important that you know about Part D. Part D plans may offer some coverage for certain vaccines. Also, Medicare Advantage plans often include prescription coverage and other benefits such as vision and dental coverage. Here are some of the vaccines that may be covered under a Part D or Medicare Advantage plan:
- TDAP vaccine
- Measles, mumps, rubella vaccine
- Shingles Vaccine
- Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B
- Pneumococcal vaccine
Those are just a shortlist of vaccines that can potentially be covered. If you’d like to learn more about the Medicare Advantage plans or Part D plans, give us a call at 800-208-4974. Our experienced insurance agents at Bluewave Insurance would be happy to answer any questions you may have and provide you a free quote comparison.
The best time to sign up for a Medicare Part D or Medicare Advantage plan is during the Medicare Annual Enrollment Period, this time occurs between October 7 through December 7 each year. During this time you can sign up for a plan or change to a different plan.
If you are wondering if Medicare covers an annual flu shot, the answer is yes. If you have Medicare Part A + B you are entitled to a flu shot each flu season at no cost to you. Just be sure to go to a provider that accepts “assignment.”
thumbIf you have questions about Medicare coverage and contact us at 800-208-4974. One of our experienced insurance agents will be able to answer any questions.