Humana Medicare Supplement Plans
If you are enrolled in Original Medicare (which is Medicare Parts A and B), then you are likely aware that this program can come with a fair amount of out-of-pocket charges, such as copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles.
One of the best ways to help reign in these expenses is to own a Medicare Supplement insurance policy. This coverage also referred to simply as “Medigap,” helps to fill in Medicare’s coverage gaps.
Before moving forward with the purchase of a Medigap plan, though, it is recommended that you have a good understanding of the different coverage options that are available to you, as well as the history and financial strength of the underlying carrier.
Bluewaveinsurance.com works with Humana and many other companies. We are independent and charge nothing for our services.
Contact us at (800) 208-4974 for a free quote comparison today!
Initially founded in 1961, Humana has grown to be one of the largest publicly traded health benefits companies in the U.S. Today, the company serves 14 million medical members, as well as 7 million specialty members.
Headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky, Humana has received numerous awards throughout the years for its products and services, as well as for its business practices.
Humana’s Financial Strength
With 2017 revenues in excess of $53 billion and total assets of more than $27 billion (as of December 2017), Humana is considered to be strong and stable from a financial standpoint. The company is also listed as a Fortune 100 entity.
Humana holds high ratings from the insurer rating agencies. These include a(n):
- BBB+ from Standard & Poor’s
- Baa3 from Moody’s Investors Services
- BBB from Fitch Ratings
- Senior debt rating of bbb- from A.M. Best Company
The company makes use of leading edge technology in order to better serve its customers. As of year-end 2017, Humana had more than 8 million Medicare members alone.
Products Offered Through Humana
Humana offers a wide range of different health insurance and related products to both individuals and employer groups, including:
- Individual major medical plans
- Plans for U.S. military dependents and retirees
- Administrative services products
- PPOs (Preferred Provider Organizations) and HMOs (Health Maintenance Organizations)
- Consumer-driven plans
- Medicare Advantage plans
- Medicare Prescription Drug plans
- Medicare Supplement insurance plans
Currently, Humana offers Medicare Supplement Plans A, B, C, F, (and High-Deductible Plan F), G, K, L, and N.
Humana’s Medicare Supplement Plans
When you purchase a Medicare Supplement insurance plan through Humana, you are allowed to choose any doctor, hospital, or clinic that accepts Medicare as payment for services. You can also get the following benefits:
- Portable Coverage – The Medigap plans from Humana are portable, meaning that the coverage will follow you anywhere in the U.S. (and in some cases, anywhere in the world), and they are accepted anywhere that also accepts Medicare.
- Guaranteed Renewable – Once you have qualified for a Humana Medicare Supplement plan, your insurability is guaranteed, even if you become ill or injured in the future.
- 30-Day Free Look Period – If, after purchasing a Humana Medigap plan, you decide that you do not want the coverage, you will have 30 days to receive a full premium refund.
- Household Discount (where available) – If another person who lives in your household also applies for a Humana Medigap plan, you can both save 5% on your monthly premium.
- Electronic Claims Handling – Humana makes it easy for Medicare Supplement plan enrollees to file claims, as this can be done electronically through the company’s website.
- ACH Discount – As a Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance policyholder, you can save on your monthly premium by electing to make your future payments electronically through monthly bank drafts, or via a credit card.
If you have any questions or would like a free quote comparison contact us at (800) 208-4974 today!
Humana Medicare Supplement Plan F
Although you can choose from eight different Medicare Supplement insurance plans through Humana, Plan F provides the most comprehensive set of benefits. It also, however, will typically cost the most in terms of premium outlay. (There is a high-deductible Medicare Supplement Plan F that could be purchased, which offers a lower premium, but also requires a deductible to be satisfied before the plan’s benefits start to pay out).
Because all companies that offer Medicare Supplement insurance must provide the same set of benefits for plans with the same corresponding letter, there is no difference between a Plan F that is purchased through Humana or any other insurer.
Humana Medicare Supplement Plan G
Another highly comprehensive Medicare Supplement insurance plan is Humana’s Plan G. This policy offers everything that Plan F does, other than the payment of the Medicare Part B yearly deductible (which for 2018 is $183). And, because the premium for Plan G is typically lower than the premium for Plan F, it will usually more than make up for the difference.
This is one of the reasons why we recommend Medicare Supplement Plan G over Plan F. The other reason is because Plan F will no longer be offered as of the year 2020. So, it is likely that the Plan F premiums for current (and future) policyholders will be going up, in turn, making Plan G a more stable option in terms of price and benefits.
Humana Medicare Supplement Plan N
For those who don’t mind paying a small copayment for office visits, and for ER visits that don’t result in hospital admission, Medicare Supplement Plan N could provide a nice alternative. That’s because the premiums for Plan N are typically lower than those of Plan G and Plan F – and the only coverage options that you’re giving up in comparison to Plan F is the Medicare Part B deductible and Part B excess charges.
Extra Services and Features with Humana Medigap Policies
In addition to the base benefits from Humana’s Medicare Supplement coverage, you may also be eligible for some or all of the following programs:
- Silver Sneakers – Through Silver Sneakers, you can become a basic fitness center member, which allows you to use equipment, as well as to attend group exercise classes and work with qualified fitness trainers.
- Silver Sneaker Steps – If you do not have access to a fitness center, the Silver Sneaker Steps benefit offers a pedometer-based walking program that can help you to remain active.
- RX Discount – With the RX Discount, you could save an average of 20% or more on prescription medications – including those that are not covered by Medicare.
- Vision Discount – Through EyeMed, you can have access to 40,000 national vision providers, including opticians and optometrists.
- MyHumana – In order to quickly and easily review your coverage and any claims, as well as get additional information and resources on Medicare, you can simply log into MyHumana via the Humana website.
- HumanaFirst – HumanaFirst is a nurse advice line that provides 24-hour guidance, support, and information for Humana policyholders.
- Shared Decision Making – Shared Decision Making assists Humana members in working with their doctors and other medical professionals when deciding on, preparing for, and recovering from surgery.
- Welldine Meal Program – Following an overnight stay at a hospital or nursing home facility, you may be eligible to receive ten pre-cooked meals, at no cost, that are delivered to your door.
- Hearing Discount – As a Humana Medicare Supplement policyholder, you may also receive discounts on hearing aids and services via several top companies.
- Lifeline Medical Alert – If you have an emergency, such as taking a fall, you can quickly alert help through the Lifeline Medical Alert Systems, which in turn may allow you to live independently.
Note that these benefits may not be available in all areas, so it is important to inquire about them prior to applying for coverage.
Should You Consider a Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan from Humana?
To get more details on Medicare Supplement insurance plans from Humana, or even if you just have general questions on Medicare or Medigap coverage, we would be happy to help. You can contact us directly at (800) 208-4974.
Speaking with a professional who focuses specifically on Medicare plans can help you to ensure that you’re moving in the right direction with this type of coverage. We are independent and work with all the major carriers across the country. Our services are free and cost you nothing.